Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Licence Information

Online Resource Licenses

All the resources provided by Library and Learning Services are governed by licence restrictions. See our Online Resources page for more information, read the terms and conditions of the licence, or contact Library and Learning Services staff for further help.

Further help

Contact Learning Services for further help and advice. 
Phone: +44 (0)1202 436306

CLA Licence Information

Photocopying under the CLA licence

The CLA HE licence also allows any member of staff to make photocopies of publications within the CLA’s repertoire, subject to the same extent limits mentioned above. These can be circulated to registered students, course tutors, visiting academics and officers of regulatory agencies such as the QAA.

To check if a publication is licensed for photocopying please visit the permssions tool on the CLA website and check with Learning Services staff if in doubt.

 About the Copyright Licensing Agency

The Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) is a commercial organisation owned by the Publisher Licensing Society (PLS) and the Authors Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS). Its remit is underpinned by UK law, most notably Section 36 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 which says that use of multiple extracts within educational institutions must be subject to licence if one is available.

Higher education institutions have a specific licence negotiated with the CLA that covers them for making multiple copies of limited extracts and making them available to registered students.

ERA Licence

AECC University College pays for an ERA Licence which enables educational establishments to legally make recordings or copies of TV and radio programmes for educational use. The Licence covers the TV and radio output of ERA’s Broadcaster Members. This means that staff and students at ERA licensed institutions can record or make copies of programmes for educational use without seeking individual permissions. Contact the Library for further details and advice about how to make use of the licence.

NLA Licence

AECC University College has a Newspaper Licensing Agency licence. For more details contact Learning Services.